Sunday, November 25, 2012

Crockpot Sloppy Joes


Starting with the photo today because I swear just seeing Sloppy Joes in the title will turn some people off.  And seriously, look at that photo.  Taken with an iPhone.  Deeeeeeeee-lish!

This recipe is what happens when you ask the hubby "what would you like to eat tonight?"  "Sloppy Joes please."  Ugh.  I wondered how I was going to make Sloppy Joes look appetizing on my blog?  And then I made them.  And then I TASTED THEM.  Oh good god, I will be making these again.

The recipe came from the Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications: SlowCooker.  Sorry I couldn't find the link, but the recipe is below:

All-American Sloppy Joes
Prep: 40 Minutes
Cook: 6 to 8 hours (low) or 3 to 4 hours (high)

3 pounds lean ground beef or ground pork
2 cups chopped onions (2 large)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups chopped red sweet peppers
2 cups chopped celery (4 stalks)
1 12-ounce can beer
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Hot pepper sauce
16 whole grain buns, kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted with assorted toppers such as dill pickle slices and/or pickled peppers (optional)

1. In a large skilled cook ground beef, onions, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onions are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks.  Drain off fat.

2. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, sweet peppers, celery, beer, ketchup, molasses, yellow mustard, chill powder, vinegar, and a dash of hot pepper sauce.

3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.

4. To serve, use a slotted spoon to spoon meat mixture onto roll bottoms.  If desired, add assorted toppers.  Cover with roll tops. 

Makes 16 sandwiches.

Modifications:
I toasted the buns with butter and garlic.  I also served them open-faced with shredded buffalo mozzarella cheese on top.  I had planned to also serve them with pickled peppers, but they were too hot. Next time I'll try to find some mild ones.


1 comment: