Sunday, November 4, 2012

Gnocchi Mac n Cheese

Well, here we go. My first post. I always seem to be cooking on Sundays (along with the rest of the world) and I've always wanted to pen a blog. And today it hit me. WHAM. I should write a food blog! Ok, maybe this was not a shocking thought. I've always wanted a food blog, BUT I finally came up with a fun name. 

Enough with the rambling. 

I came across this recipe on Pinterest and decided it was a must try. I'm a cheese fanatic, the more cheese the better. It is the one thing I could never give up. Ev-ah! And mac n' cheese is one of my fave comfort dishes. So this one was a no-brainer and a great place to start.

The recipe came from a pin that led to The Cutting Edge of Ordinary with her blog linking to The Noble Pig for the original recipe.

The basic recipe is copied below for your convenience:


Gnocchi Mac n' Cheese

Serves: 6

Ingredients
1 pound purchased or homemade Gnocchi
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
3/4 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
Salt & white pepper to taste
1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Basil leaves for garnish, optional

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and place gnocchi in a single-layer in a 1-1/2 quart shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until it thickens and bubbles, then whisk in milk and Dijon. Continue to whisk mixture and cook until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.

Combine Gruyere and fontina, then add by the handful to milk mixture, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Once all cheese is melted, season sauce with salt and pepper.

Pour sauce over gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano over top. Bake gnocchi until they puff and cheese is golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let gnocchi rest for 5 minutes before serving.

And finally, my food taken with Instagram (hmmm...I might also be a social media junkie).


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment